Cutting the Chai has moved to a new domain: cuttingthechai.com.
You can get in touch with Soumyadip at www.soumyadip.com.

Friday, November 20, 2009

Recession Effect on Blessings

There's something about recession. It has even changed the nature of blessings.

This morning, I saw a poor couple with a baby sitting the lane near my home. They were in rags and shivering in the morning cold.

Just a few days ago I had sorted out clothes that I wanted to donate through Goonj, but couldn't find the time to drop it at their collection centre. So thought of giving the poor family a few warm clothes to spend the winter in comfort.

After I handed them the clothes, the couple blessed me in gratitude. But the blessing was a little different from the usual Aapki umar lambi ho (May you live a long life) or Aap tarraki kare (May you prosper).

They instead said, Aapki naukri salamat rahein (May your job be secure).

In these uncertain times, it was indeed appropriate.

Related post:· When Bottles Dance

0 Comments: