Cutting the Chai has moved to a new domain: cuttingthechai.com.
You can get in touch with Soumyadip at www.soumyadip.com.

Thursday, December 01, 2005

A Tale of Two Towns

Typical Shillong Traffic Jam
My school textbooks informed me and the census bureau figures second the fact that India lives in its villages. National television impresses that it is only the metropolises that matter. That something in between seems lost somewhere. The Malgudi-like sleepy settlements where everyone knows almost everybody. This middle-India is also undergoing the process of evolution. Only the pace differs from one small town to the other.

KarimganjShillong - which I visited after a lapse of eight months is changing almost beyond recognition. Karimganj (a district town in south Assam bordering Bangladesh) has hardly a thing out of place since my last visit eight years ago. The solitary exception being the excellent road to the border maintained by the Border Roads Organisation.

I wasted a better part of my half day presence in the town in locating a cyber cafe and when I found one - the internet wasn't on. "Want to play some games?" offered the owner. Which answered my inquisitiveness about why the place was called 'Game Zone?' Needed some cash, but surprisingly I couldn't find a single SBI ATM.

Assam Type HouseShillong with a population of only 2,67,881 (2001) has more than 70,000 vehicles plying on its narrow winding roads. Prominent private banks are queuing up to open shop there. Auto dealerships, restaurants, retail outlets are jostling for space in the hill station which seems to be growing in only one direction - upwards. Spacious Assam-type cottages are giving way to cramped apartments. The rooftops house cell phone towers belonging to four different service providers.

The first SMS that I received on entering Karimganj read:

Dear IDEA subscriber, GrameenPhone welcomes you to Bangladesh! No of Indian embassy in Dhaka is 02-9888189. For GrameenPhone Customer Relations dial 777

The paramilitary forces had to be called in to control the unruly crowd queuing up to collect application forms for new BSNL mobile phone connection. My mobile perhaps a bit disturbed by all the chaos preferred the foreign network. I on my part rationally switched it off fearing international roaming charges.

I regained a native network on returning to Shillong - the hill station with pretensions of a metropolis, where the shops start downing shutters at 7:00 PM IST.

The distance from Delhi to Shillong is 2,059 kilometres and Shillong to Karimganj - 220 kilometres. But the intermittent differences is in years, plenty of them. Low-floored imported luxury air-conditioned buses ply from Karimganj to Guwahati via Shillong, but with dents at the bottom - courtesy potholed highways.

12 Comments:

Admin said...

Shillong is a lovely hill station with lots of moneyed people, I have lways been amazed by the fact that even 15 years back, you could get the best stuff in Shillong which you coudn't find in Guwahati.. Its been long since I visited shillong though. And those takeaway chowmien yumm..
If only Imphal was also as prosperous... wishful thinking

And I thought pony tail had graduated from half page ads to centerspread when I realised it was indeed more thna a centre spread. It was 1.5 centrespread. today's times had a 3 page ad.. can u beat that..

Admin said...

i could send u the pic if u want.. i took a pic

Soumyadip said...

Anthony, please do. My google mail id is albinobee.

dwaipayan said...

nice post. waiting for more of this kind. and plzz, don't describe shillong with such intricate details. i start missing the weather and the food

AquaM said...

"...the hill station with pretensions of a metropolis.."

Survival I guess....but I really miss the old world charm

AquaM

aklanta said...

Last time I was there in Shillong, I tried to grab as many snaps of it as I can, in my mind...I knew it will not be the same when I'm there next time...the demon called "change" will wear it out, it's charm...

aklanta said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
dwaipayan said...

how come u didn't post today?????

Soumyadip said...

Too much pressure at work Dwaipayan.

Miles to walk before I sleep said...

I envy you, at least you have some people back there whom you like to visit and also a reson to visit this lovely hill station.

I wish I could also visit the place where I was born and brought up. I last saw the Shillong four and a half years back.

I hope I will be able to recognise the place in my next visit.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! Garcinia combogia lipitor University of chicago cancer program leaders phd Fat fat woman free pics Used wdp angel speed 05 paintball guns parson's scholarship Pave diamond setting

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! business opportunities Vitamin for high cholesterol web conferencing http://www.asian-schoolgirls-9.info Game over screwed