Cutting the Chai has moved to a new domain: cuttingthechai.com.
You can get in touch with Soumyadip at www.soumyadip.com.

Friday, September 02, 2005

A Melancholic Ecstasy

One man's music is another's noise. I often hear murmurs of protest whenever I play my type of music at my workplace. Therefore the strains of Indian Ocean have to make their way to my tympanic membrane only through the headphones.

In the mid 1990s my music maniac brother (he's also a foto freak) was reverberating the neighbourhood with a new type of sound (he's no musician, but he is an ardent believer that people four houses down the hill should also listen to what he likes). And I said hey! that's my kind of noise. And an affair with Indo-rock fusion began.

My cruise on this ocean began with their first self-titled album and all their subsequent efforts (Black Friday being the last) have only but enriched my passion for their type of fusion.

With a missionary zeal, I have been able to convert many of my friends and acquaintances to my brand of euphonical noise (my conservative colleagues remain unrelenting). And now I am shifting my focus online.

Like them, loath them, but you can't ignore them. Indian Ocean is not a tsunami; it is the gentle sea breeze bringing along clouds that quench the often-arid landscape of popular Indian music.

Tune In
Desert Rain
Ma Rewa
Kandisa
Jhini
Bandeh

The Indian Ocean Website

11 Comments:

saurav said...

Desert Rain is simply fantastic......thanx for sharing with us....

Anonymous said...

Without argument Indian Ocean is the best Music group in India today. Imaginative, experimental and simply sonorous. They play mind blowing stuff in their own distinctive style, a style which is ubiquely their own. And i can say that being one of their most avid fans. Have all their albums which I listen to often. People at times dont see quality and would rather prefer remixed film music rather than something unique and original.

Abaniko said...

Cool music. I downloaded all 5 (on a 49Kbps connection, mind you). They're "unobstrusive" and soothing. My favorite's Kandisa although I don't understand the lyrics. I like the rhythm and its "touch of fusion." Next is Jhini. But I like all (if only I understand the lyrics, that would be a bonus). Thanks for sharing.

dwaipayan said...

hmmm,i'll try then. but it seems that my sis has a load of similarities with ur bro. she too,believs in listening music with maximum volume.

Soumyadip said...

Abaniko,

I too can't comprehend most their lyrics. I'm trying to collect some translated versions. Will post them to you.

Abaniko said...

Thanks. You can just email them to me, pls.

Abaniko said...

i mean "unobtrusive" in my first comment.

Anonymous said...

what does the song jhini mean?

Soumyadip said...

Anonymous In the song Kabir says, "this fine cloth of life, woven with great care by the master, yet we humans make this cloth dirty and torn, leave the cloth unspoiled" (From www.indianoceanmusic.com).

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.